- Open network and sharing center
- Change advanced sharing setting
- Turn on network discovery, file and printer sharing,
- For all networks > public folder sharing, turn on sharing so anyone with network can access. Then use 128-bit encryption and turn off password protected sharing.
- Go to file explorer, check your network connected computers. Ensure all PCs and laptops are visible in the network. If not, restart any of the PCs/laptops and ensure its connected to the network using Wifi or LAN.
Step 6 (Share the public folder)
Open file explorer on the server PC. Right-click the public folder>properties>sharing>share>add everyone>share.
Now, everyone on the network can view and access the public folder.
Open file explorer on the server PC. Right-click the public folder>properties>sharing>advanced share (admin access required)>tick share this folder>give a share name.
If your folder name is pcadmins, use pcadmins$ to share and hide the folder. Click permission and set the permission. Now, this folder is shared but not everyone can access this folder.
Step 8 (Map network drive)
- Go to any PCs or Laptops where you allow access to the pcadmins folder.
- Open file explorer on the PC.
- Click my computer, then map the network drive.
- Set the network drive letter.
- Set the folder URL/link for the admins folder. Use pc name followed by the folder. Example: \\PC1\pcadmins$
- You can also set-up network drive for public folder using the same method on any PCs or Laptops. Use \\PC2\public
- Tick reconnect at sign-up.
Author: Muhamad Hariz
I am a Ph.D. candidate in IT specializing in artificial intelligence, data mining, and Cloud computing. I am the founder of Autosoft, I have the passion for covering the latest information in artificial intelligence and tech world. Contact: email@example.com